Re: [BKARTS] Subject: Libraries: the Museums of the Future

What a wonderful recommendation! The essay Calligraphic Type Design in the Digital Age is awesome. I wish I could see the exhibition.

Hermann Zapf is one of my favorite type designers. I didn't know that his wife was a type designer and book binder as well. What a discovery! I am off to find out more about Gudrun Zapf von Hesse. She would be a treasure for a new course I am co-developing on Typographic History. The course is going to be around developing hand skills in type. Why that sort of thing ever went away in my school is beyond me. Teaching such concepts as kerning, tracking and leading on the computer surprising is not as effective as having students draw them by hand. Totally develops the eye to be more sensitive and discerning.

If anyone has other resources regarding typographic principles and design please post them.