[BKARTS] Libraries: the Museums of the Future

There is some good information from Sara Quinn at the Poynter
Institute in Sarasota, Florida.  Here is the link:

Typography for News Design
www.newsu.org

Marty
____________________
Marty Hartford
Hale Library Preservation
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS   66506
785/532-3426
mjh@xxxxxxx

>>> Esther Kibby <ekibby@xxxxxxxxxx> 9/25/06 11:55 AM >>>
What a wonderful recommendation! The essay Calligraphic Type
Design in
the Digital Age is awesome. I wish I could see the exhibition.

Hermann Zapf is one of my favorite type designers. I didn't
know that
his wife was a type designer and book binder as well. What a
discovery!
I am off to find out more about Gudrun Zapf von Hesse. She
would be a
treasure for a new course I am co-developing on Typographic
History.
The course is going to be around developing hand skills in
type. Why
that sort of thing ever went away in my school is beyond me.
Teaching
such concepts as kerning, tracking and leading on the computer

surprising is not as effective as having students draw them by
hand.
Totally develops the eye to be more sensitive and discerning.

If anyone has other resources regarding typographic principles
and
design please post them.

On Sep 24, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Deanna Jay Chu Nim wrote:

> I would like to recommend the Harrison Collection at the San
Francisco

http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/librarylocations/main/bookarts/harrison.htm

>                                            See
> <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information