[BKARTS] book ribbons

Sorry to go on about this subject of ribbons but I found this site in my hunt-
http://www.cailun.info/index.php?/archives/28-Techniques-for-Ribbon-mounted-Casing.html
Does anyone have any experience with this..It looks good but I am worried about putting unprotected slits in the coverboard or the paper for that matter..won't they eventually rip...any ideas..I am trying to figure out how to get a bow on the spine or a tie on the opening side of the book without damaging the cover or paper.
best regards
Jessica