Re: [BKARTS] book ribbons

Start with a 25% hydrogen peroxide solution (than work your way up if necessary) use a pointed tip (Q-Tip) and test first, only use bleach as a last resort (ruins the paper) and don't use stronger then 8 parts water to 2 parts bleach. It's best to let paper dry between tries. Arthur Johnson says hydrogen peroxide has a good pH value of 6 (whatever that means to you), bleach is the last resort, and should only be used on inexpensive books.

John
----- Original Message ----- From: "dglover" <dglover@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] book ribbons

Fine grained sandpaper.

On Sep 27, 2006, at 2:30 PM, Heather Deamon wrote:

Um, hi. My name is Heather and I don't really do anything much with the whole 'Book Arts' thingy here online (I get a lot of messages, but I don't read them all) so I'm taking a shot in the dark and hoping that by replying to one of the gazillion messages in my inbox I can get some help here.
I'm a librarian (fresh out of high school and already in my dream job) in the town I live in and I'm in charge of doing all the repair work. I am not, however, officially trained or anything. I'm self-taught, and therefore extremely unconventional. I want to get a professional opinion, however, with something my boss has asked of me: a co-worker spilled coffee on a book and there is some staining on the edges of the pages. It's not warped since she wiped it off and stuck it under something heavy immediately, but my boss wants to know if there's any way to remove the stains (he said bleach...I kind of panicked and yelled 'no!') and now I am here asking for help. If you or anyone you know has any ideas on how to get coffee stains off of paper, I would really appreciate a little help. Thank you!
~Heather Deaton