[BKARTS] Fall workshops in Northeast Pennsylvania

Please excuse the cross posting and the short notice...

I'll be offering the following weekend workshops at my studio between
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton PA this fall.

October 28-29: Introduction to Titling and Tooling. This class will covering type, letterspacing, preparing label leather, preparing the hot stamper and stamping both labels and covers; using the typeholder and handle letters to work directly on spines; blind tooling and gold tooling with foil and leaf on plaquettes. Each participant will get a wooden spine block to practice on and to take home.
Materials fee: $25

November 4-5: A Modern Leather Spined Box. This is a cloth clamshell
with a flat leather spine which disappears between the shells and the
cover boards; an elegant and contemporary structure. The box we'll be making also features a suede lining. Participants should bring one or (feeling ambitious?) two quarto or octavo books to be boxed. Please, no folios...
Materials fee: $25

November 18-19: Leather Rebacking. This is a repeat of the workshop given for the Delaware Valley GBW chapter a couple of years ago. We'll cover determining a treatment; preparations for rebacking; methods of board reattachment; corner treatment; spine consolidation; endbands; paring and toning new leather; retaining the original spine if possible; toning and laying new inner joints; Japanese tissue joint repair. Participants should bring several full calf or sheep bindings with fairly intact textblocks to work on.
Materials fee: $15

December 2-3. Introduction to Inlay and Onlay. Participants will work on plaquettes to practice inlaying and onlaying. We'll discuss which technique is appropriate for a particular application, then try it. Please have some ideas in mind or, better, on paper. Because these techniques require quite a bit of leather, participants are asked to bring their own base leathers and any larger pieces they think they might need. Smaller pieces can probably be found in the boxes of offcuts here.
Materials fee: $15

Cost: $200 per workshop. This includes both tuition (material fee is extra) and housing for Friday and Saturday nights, so you can come the night before and be ready to go on Saturday morning. We have five bedrooms available: three in a furnished adjacent house and two in a furnished apartment in the studio building. One caveat: the apartment is also home to three cats, though they are shy and tend to stay out of the way. And our dog spends her day at the shop. That's another caveat.

Class size: Maximum of 5 students. Participants should bring their own hand tools.

Location: Wilkes-Barre is a bit less than three hours from both Philadelphia and New York City and is easily reached by car or bus. The studio is also fifteen minutes from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport.

To register, or for further information, questions, and travel directions please contact Don Rash at 1-570-821-7050 or email studior@xxxxxxxxx

And in the spring we'll be establishing an ongoing series of week long classes in formal bookbinding, as well as offering more weekend workshops.