Re: [BKARTS] Question about wood and paper

If you are using elvace or jade pva for the adhesive, it can also be thinned and used as a sealer.

Charles

On Oct 18, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Mardy Sears wrote:

Definitely treat the boards. You can use an acrylic polyeurethane. Matt finish is more porous and will accept the subsequent layer of adhesive better. It's even better if you can rough it up slightly with steel wool before applying your paper. Use pva as an adhesive. I've done this in the past and it works great. Of course you should make a test sample first to make sure you're happy with the results.
Happy glueing, Mardy

From: Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord <skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Question about wood and paper
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:47:55 -0400

Dear Friends

I will be covering some wooden boards

http://artistcraftsman.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Product_Code=W004003&Category_Code=CWPP&Store_Code=ACS

with handmade Lokta paper. I have a couple of questions:

Should I treat the boards before I attach the paper?

What type of adhesive would you recommend?

Thanks.

in good spirit
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord Newburyport, MA

skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.makingbooks.com

See <http:// www.philobiblon.com> for full information
See <http:// www.philobiblon.com> for full information