[BKARTS] A few questions

Dear All,

I¹ve come across a couple of things during the book binding classes that I
teach that I¹m hoping the list can help out with.

One of my students bought some ostrich skin leather & has made a rounded
spine case binding to put a sewn album block in. Only problem is that the
leather is quite stiff & doesn¹t appear to have the flexibility to be able
to fold back onto itself & therefore it pulls the album block up with it. We
tried to take a few sections out of the album block thinking that a thinner
block would create a bit more give at the joints but it makes no difference.

Another student wants to put padding underneath fabric &/or leather on the
book covers. What type & size of material (foam?) is most commonly used.
When we have used thin foam in the past we¹ve had difficulties adhering the
fabric to it & have usually only managed to stretch the fabric over & glue
only on the turn ins. This doesn¹t seem to be a very strong way of binding a
book. Also is it better to take the foam or padding material right to the
covering board edge. I saw in the archive that someone had suggested felt
covered with thin chipboard (would this be archival) or quilt batting. For
both of these how does one manage the gluing

Finally one of my students wants to study leather binding in Italy next
summer (don¹t we all).

Any suggestions or leads very welcome

Regards

Louise

Louise Garnaut
Bookworks Limited
Room F 8/F Ho Lee Commercial Building
38 - 44 D'Aguilar Street
Central
Hong Kong
Tel (852) 2559 0175
Fax (852) 2858 1931
Email: louise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Opening Hours: 0930 hrs ~ 1830hrs (Monday ~ Friday)