[BKARTS] FW: [BKARTS] A few questions

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We will follow up. Now understand that
foam is the worst choice. Felt is easy to get & inexpensive in Hong Kong.

Susan we have tried with the polyester batting more as aa approach to lining
fabric to turn it into a bookcloth rather than for padding purposes as it is
a very straightforward solution but have had mixed results with the adhesive
sometimes not adhering, sometimes separating in sections at a later stage.
The students love to use the fine Japanese silks and cottons that look like
they have been hand painted (not sure if they have been) & we've had no luck
in getting them to adhere evenly so I'm not sure if it's something to do
with the silk, if it's had a specific treatment process or the quality of
adhesive used here or if the adhesive doesn't last well in our tropical
humid environment. We bought the battings from different suppliers in
different weights but it seemed to make no difference.

Has anyone used something like reemay (non woven spun bound polyester) as a
lining for fabrics. BTW I have looked through the archives on the issue of
making bookcloths & found it very useful.

We also will try ironing the polyester batting to the boards & then lining
with paper as has been suggested

Regards & thanks

Louise

Dear Louise --

I don't know what's available to you in HK, but the polyester quilt batting
comes in a fusible form. The adhesive is already on one surface and you
can iron it on to whatever (the boards?)

Various battings and non-woven interfacings come in different weights and
thicknesses, they are inert, and have a much longer life than foam (which
can break down over time).  They can be applied with spray adhesive.

I don't do binding myself, but many of the "fabric arts" technologies are
transferable to book arts!

Hope this helps!

Susan

Susan Fatemi