Re: [BKARTS] FW: [BKARTS] A few questions

Louise--
When you say that you have used polyester batting to
line fabric to turn it into bookcloth, it makes me
think that you are confusing polyester interfacing or
stabilizer with polyester batting. Even the thinnest
polyester batting is a minimum of 1/2 inch thick, but
compresses when bookcloth is stretched across it.  I
can't imagine anyone using it to line fabric to turn
it into bookcloth, although it's a good choice for
padding. The iron-on adhesives used on both batting
and interfacing are very unreliable most of the time
because they are generally intended to adhere to the
fabric only temporarily until it is sewn in place
permanently as it would be in a garment or quilt.
Whether to use felt or batting depends on the effect
that your student wants. Batting would likely make a
softer padding and felt a firmer padding. If I wanted
to use batting, I would use bonded polyester rather
than cotton because it shifts and "wads" less than
cotton, so that if you were not gluing the cloth to it
(and just gluing the turn-ins) it would be more likely
to remain in an even layer and not get lumpy with use
and handling. I would purchase a non-adhesive batting,
and then apply PVA to the binder's board and smooth
the batting on.

I noticed that no one has yet commented on the
question concerning the ostrich leather. I know
extremely little about leather binding, but since no
one who has that expertise has commented, I'd like to
take a guess at what the problem is. There are
different tanning methods. Leather that is tanned for
wet-forming or bookbinding is tanned in such a way
that is remains soft and pliable after it has been
wetted and dried. Leather than is tanned for garments
or shoes is tanned differently and gets stiff, hard,
and shrinks after it gets wet and dries--like when a
pair of non-waterproof leather shoes gets after
getting soaked. Your student's leather may not be
bookbinding leather. The appropriate question may be
"Is there a way to use garment or shoe leather in
bookbinding?" The leather being ostrich may have no
relevance.

Ann

http://mail.yahoo.com