[BKARTS] Book spines

[Please respond directly to Mr. Altshiller as he is not on the listserv. Email is <donaltsc@xxxxxx>]

Hi-

  Is there a name for illustrations found on individual
book spines of multi-volume works which display a large
complex design when the books are shelved together?

  What is the history of this book design process?
I've seen it in English language and also Arabic
multi-volume works, including encyclopedias.

I would appreciate any information you may provide.

**Please post the response directly to me.**

                          Donald Altschiller
                          donaltsc@xxxxxx
 Thanks very much!

 Donald Altschiller