[BKARTS] To Hollow or Not To Hollow

I've been ruminating on the value of the hollow and have been wondering if its primary value is as an aid in positioning: less structural value and more working technique. (To clarify, I mean a hollow paper tube attached to the spine of the book on one side and to the covering material on the other, with air in between and a folded joint at each shoulder. I don't mean simply the hollow space one finds in the spine when opening a machine-cased book.)
For a casebound book, the flex point of the hollow should be at precisely the flexpoint of the endpaper. This is a mechanical impossibility (to achieve perfectly) and for the casebound book, a hollow seems superfluous. Any comments or disputations from the more structurally wise?
For the traditional tight joint, I can see the hollow as providing a flatter, more uniform tooling foundation but any added strength seems minimal...
Of course, the hollow is of great help in attaching a case neatly... I've no questions about its practicality in certain rebinding situations, but that seems to be more of an aid to positioning rather than a structural advantage.
Any thoughts from seasoned hollow ponderers?
Bob