Re: [BKARTS] To Hollow or Not To Hollow

roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Don, Either one. I used a hollow today on a cloth book to position the restored case for tucking in new linen joints. And frequently use hollows on more modern leatherbound books.
I'm just after a general mechanical/structure conversation on the practice: no specific problem or application in mind today.

Bob,

My rationale is that in a cloth or paper binding the use of a tube makes for a more secure attachment between textblock and case and by doing so takes some of the strain off the joints, thus adding to the book's lifespan. I don't have any empirical evidence to that effect, though.

For a leather binding the issue for me is not strength but rather openability and long term stability. No matter how well done, a tight back will restrict the opening; whereas a hollow back over an appropriately lined spine will facilitate spine flexion. And by isolating the covering leather from the spine folds the migration of acid and oil is minimized.
It does make tooling easier...

Don