Re: [BKARTS] To Hollow or Not To Hollow

Thanks, Don.
That's the sort of response I was hoping for, though I'd love some "empirical evidence" too. I've wondered if in some cases a hollow tube on a hollow spine could CAUSE greater stress on the inner joints. Some limp leather Bibles are designed to open past the shoulder, much as children's board books. The use of a hollow tube would force either the textblock to throw up at a dangerously acute angle (not all books can be guarded and resewn) or cause the covering material too much rounding of the spine.

Bob Roberts
www.gildedleafbindery.com

-- Don Rash <studior@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Don,
> Either one. I used a hollow today on a cloth book to position the restored case for tucking in new linen joints. And frequently use hollows on more modern leatherbound books.
> I'm just after a general mechanical/structure conversation on the practice: no specific problem or application in mind today.

Bob,

My rationale is that in a cloth or paper binding the use of a tube makes
for a more secure attachment between textblock and case and by doing so
  takes some of the strain off the joints, thus adding to the book's
lifespan. I  don't have any empirical evidence to that effect, though.

For a leather binding the issue for me is not strength but rather
openability and long term stability. No matter how well done, a tight
back will restrict the opening; whereas a hollow back over an
appropriately lined spine will facilitate spine flexion. And by
isolating the covering leather from the spine folds the migration of
acid and oil is minimized.
It does make tooling easier...

Don