Re: [BKARTS] To Hollow or Not To Hollow

roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks, Don.
That's the sort of response I was hoping for, though I'd love some "empirical evidence" too. I've wondered if in some cases a hollow tube on a hollow spine could CAUSE greater stress on the inner joints. Some limp leather Bibles are designed to open past the shoulder, much as children's board books. The use of a hollow tube would force either the textblock to throw up at a dangerously acute angle (not all books can be guarded and resewn) or cause the covering material too much rounding of the spine.

You're probably right about that. The few times I've used a tube on a spine that insisted on staying concave due to age the results have only been sort of acceptable.

Don