Re: [BKARTS] To Hollow or Not To Hollow

Hi, Alan, and thanks for the reply.
My apologies if I sounded "snippy" in my first response. Unintended, I assure you.
Two questions:
1. How did you so quickly compile an your index? Is there an online database or is that your own creation?
2. I'm familiar with the "how" of constructing the hollow tube (unless someone could explain those found on large family Bibles from the late 1800's with a long diagonal cut in them).
What I would like is the technical, structural "why" of the tube, beyond simply as an aid in positioning and tooling. Its use on leather tight-joint books seems to provide an effect somewhat like the springback in bringing the textblock back to round, but also puts a lot of stress on a spot that has an additional fulcrum of endpaper and board.
Charles has suggested that a hollow tube provides an additional bit of support for a heavy cased-in book in combatting shelf sag, and that makes mechanical sense. Other comments along these lines?

Bob Roberts
www.gildedleafbindery.com

-- Alan Shalette <alshal@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I agree that Town doesn't mention the Oxford Hollow
explicitly in his text, but see my third paragraph.

Alan Shalette