Re: [BKARTS] to hollow or no

Mr. Frost's article addresses my concerns very well, though I'm not yet ready to say, "Otherwise the use of hollow tubes in book conservation is wrong, impractical and evil."
Thanks, Bill, for the suggestion to use a bit of glue on the shoulders, though I'd like it to be light enough to break free when the book flexed open. Otherwise, the hollow space opens less well than with a hollow tube. Frost's comments on the "Mexican Tube" are interesting in this regard, as it allows positioning yet also opens beyond the shoulders. Do any of you use this method?
Eliminating the bottom square would help with sag but seems like it raises other issues (beyond the merely aesthetic). Primarily, the square's usefulness in protecting the page edges would be gone, with more scuffing, soiling, etc.

Bob Roberts

-- chela <chela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Way back in 1985 Gary Frost wrote a fascinating piece in as part of a
series called "Toxic Book Methods Alert" titled:  "The Evils of the
Hollow Tube and the Concertina Guard".  While the concertina guard
did not seem to have defenders at the time, a lively conversation
about spine action ensued in response to Gary's "alert". This took
place in the Abbey News  in the the letters to the editor section.
toward the end of 1985 and much of 86

I will not venture too bold an opinion, since I definitely believe
tubes made of a variety of materials have their uses in conservation
work and certain historical binding styles. But In "binding for the
shelf"and trying to counteract textblock sag, I think eliminating the
tail square may be the simplest solution, or putting the book in a
box that has a support at the tail to keep the textblock from
sagging, or just shelving everything horizontally!

That a hollow makes positioning for casing-in easier is clear to me.
That it is of use when a binding has a "groove" is less clear to me.

Well, here is the original letter from Gary:  The responses are not
on-line...due to copywrite issues I assume.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an09/an09-7/an09-709.html

Cheers,

chela
--