Re: [BKARTS] Rusted book fittings: On Purpose

On Nov 1, 2006, at 8:26 AM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

just using the "straps", so there's a bit of new shiny metal showing at the cut and grind points. Any tips on how to quickly rust this bit? (I've aged brass with ammonia fumes... Tried hanging 3 iron hinges over an enclosed ammonia bath last night but no effect.)

Bob,
Accelerated rusting I'm not sure, but I once needed to tarnish some new brass to match the old, so I used leather dye. Sure the dye will wipe off with alcohol, but I was able to get a good match of color, as well as speckles and spots. Maybe the same will work with steel/iron?
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020