Re: [BKARTS] Rusted book fittings: On Purpose

I use hydrochloric acid (marketed as muriatic acid at the home stores) for removing the zinc and cadmium plating from hardware. The cleaned metal rusts quickly. I suggest cleaning the parts in acetone to remove all oil and then hanging the parts in the fumes of muriatic for a day.

Watch out for this stuff, though. It is death on steel. I left an open can of it in my shop; when I returned a few days later, every steel surface in my shop had a light coat of rust on it: drill bits, drill press, table saw, nails.... I do not even bring the container into my shop anymore. I do not open it indoors. Wear gloves, watch your eyes(ha), lungs, etc.

Sounds nasty but I use it often in the process of antiquing plated hardware.

Russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx