Re: [BKARTS] Rusted book fittings: On Purpose

How about lemon or vinegar?  Or heating them over a flame.  Or both?

Signa

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
roroberts@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:27 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Rusted book fittings: On Purpose

Hi, All.
I'm using some old hinges on a series of books for decorative effect. I've
needed to cut off the male/female (actual hinging) portion and am just using
the "straps", so there's a bit of new shiny metal showing at the cut and
grind points. Any tips on how to quickly rust this bit?
(I've aged brass with ammonia fumes... Tried hanging 3 iron hinges over an
enclosed ammonia bath last night but no effect.)
Bob
Maryville TN