From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
roroberts@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:27 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Rusted book fittings: On Purpose

Hi, All. I'm using some old hinges on a series of books for decorative effect. I've needed to cut off the male/female (actual hinging) portion and am just using the "straps", so there's a bit of new shiny metal showing at the cut and grind points. Any tips on how to quickly rust this bit? (I've aged brass with ammonia fumes... Tried hanging 3 iron hinges over an enclosed ammonia bath last night but no effect.) Bob Maryville TN