Re: [BKARTS] "Mexican" hollow

I had always thought that a hollow that opened down to the base of the shoulder, not the top of the shoulder, was called "Mexican" because when done on a book with a rounded spine it looked a little like the shape of a sombrero when the tube opened. I never have known exactly who developed the term.
--
Consuela Metzger
Lecturer - Book Conservation