Re: [BKARTS] FW: [archives] Film on Florence flood

While this film is undoubtedly fascinating, I had an enormous amount of difficulty in viewing it, even though I have DSL and a computer about a year old. The sound is largely nonexistant and the picture extremely flawed.

As an aside, I lived in Italy for three years or so in the early 70's. My husband, who was with the Corps of Engineers, was told by the engineers who worked for the Corps, some who had been in residence there during the time of the floods, that the whole flood was preventable. The rains that year had been heavy, and the Italian authorities had held back great quantities of water until such time as they were able to sell the electric power that could be generated upon release. When it became apparent that the upstream dams would break unless the water was released they had no choice. The goldsmiths on the Ponte Vecchio were given advance warning so that they could remove their stock of jewelry from their shops on the bridge. Apparently there wasn't sufficient time to remove the books from the libraries.

Sally Jackson