Re: [BKARTS] Film on Florence flood

I, too, watched this fascinating film (some break up, but very watchable). I do have a question about a sewing structure shown at 23 minutes into the film (you can fast-forward the clip using the arrow at the bottom of the screen). The binder was sewing what looked like signatures (I couldn't see a fold) onto white alumed tawed or whit tawed (not sure of spelling or what that is) pigskin [tapes] using a herringbone stitch. The thread actually went into the center of each tape and then into the text block. Does anyone where I could find more detailed information on this type of binding? (I thought sewing on tapes one avoided the thread actually catching any of the tape.) They did say this was a common form of binding in the middle ages.

Thanks for any help,

D. Guffey