From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Guffey
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:10 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Film on Florence flood

I, too, watched this fascinating film (some break up, but very watchable).
I do have a question about a sewing structure shown at 23 minutes into the
film (you can fast-forward the clip using the arrow at the bottom of the
screen).  The binder was sewing what looked like signatures (I couldn't see
a fold) onto white alumed tawed or whit tawed (not sure of spelling or what
that is) pigskin [tapes] using a herringbone stitch.  The thread actually
went into the center of each tape and then into the text block.  Does anyone
where I could find more detailed information on this type of binding?  (I
thought sewing on tapes one avoided the thread actually catching any of the
tape.)  They did say this was a common form of binding in the middle ages.

Thanks for any help,

D. Guffey