Re: [BKARTS] isopropanol question

Lavinia,

Water and old leather aren't compatible. Water will cause the leather to turn black and quite hard, and the damage is not reversible. Klucel G can be mixed with either ethanol or Isopropyl for use on leather. Since Cellugel is Klucel mixed with one of these alcohols or else a ratio of both, I'd assume that it can be thinned with either as well. I believe I learned in chemistry many years ago that alcohols mix with alcohols.

I bought both isopropyl and ethanol from a local chemical supply house. Some universities have chemical stores that might sell out of their network. Pharmacies might be able to supply a high grade as well. Medical suppliers could be a source. Otherwise, look for chemical suppliers. I can't be of much help here, because I haven't had to buy any for a long time.

Best,

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
=====