Re: [BKARTS] isopropanol question

100% isopropanol solution is extremely flammable as you are well aware therefore it is usually advised to dilute the concentration to a 70% working solution to avoid any chance that residual could flash ignite (due to sparks, static, heat, flames,
etc.) The solution is comprised of ethanol, alcohol and methanol sometimes. You will always dilute it with water - and distilled if you have access to it.

Here is an explanation of the difference in purity:
 [ https://www1.fishersci.com/support/faq/faq_chem.jsp;jsessionid=FAL0T5Wx2mbUZFp4m1Kgh188ynUFfnItrFD1phxTKcWfhKj6UOYW!328433 ]New Link

And here is an MSDS for Isopropyl:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/krubin/MSDS/isopropylether.html

Usually it will require a hazmat shipping fee if you order it. It is also recommended that for storing purposes that you put it in a flammable cabinet due to the increased volatilization of the solution at 100%.

I also agree, your university supply house should have some on hand.
Best of luck,
H Wright
Heather Anne Wright
Biological Research Technician
New England Plant, Soil and Water Laboratory
USDA-ARS, University of Maine, Orono 04469
Campus: (207) 581-3362
Fax: (207) 866-0464