[BKARTS] What?! isopropanol question

Ms. Wright seems not to know that even very small
traces of water will often cause old leather to
blacken and embrittle.
I'm sorry but her statement that isopropynol "is
always diluted to a 70% working solution... with
water" may well be true for her professional
applications but is the worst sort of dangerous and
ill considered nonsense in many conservation
applications, not just klucel solutions. One of many
situations is the solvent cleaning of paper where
media are water soluable. The use of klucel as a non
aqueous adhesive is another.

--- Heather Wright <Heather_Wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

https://www1.fishersci.com/support/faq/faq_chem.jsp;jsessionid=FAL0T5Wx2mbUZFp4m1Kgh188ynUFfnItrFD1phxTKcWfhKj6UOYW!328433

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/krubin/MSDS/isopropylether.html

> Usually it will require a hazmat shipping fee if you
> order it. It is also recommended that for storing
> purposes that you put it in a flammable cabinet due
> to the increased volatilization of the solution at
> 100%.
>
> I also agree, your university supply house should
> have some on hand.
> Best of luck,
> H Wright
> __________________________________
> Heather Anne Wright
> Biological Research Technician
> New England Plant, Soil and Water Laboratory
> USDA-ARS, University of Maine, Orono 04469
> Campus: (207) 581-3362
> Fax: (207) 866-0464
>
> Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on
> Tuesday, November 07, 2006 at 11:30 PM -0500 wrote:
> >
> >On Nov 7, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Lavinia Adler wrote:
> >
> >> The answer seems obvious to me, but, since I'm
> having trouble locating
> >> 100% isopropanol, I thought I'd take a chance on
> learning that I'm
> >> wrong.
> >>
> >> Lavinia Adler

> to the

> information

Sponsored Link

Get an Online or Campus degree
Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less than one year.
http://www.findtherightschool.com