[BKARTS] Isopropanol and Cellugel

Hi Lavinia,

I am a partner in the company, Preservation Solutions which produces Cellugel. Advise to this point has been right on. Do not use an alcohol with any water content to thin Cellugel. I have found Isopropanol (100% Isopropal alcohol) in a local medical supply store here in Chicago. Given that, it does tend to be a little difficult to procur pure alcohol, especially ethanol (consumeable) from chemical suppliers. Fischer Scientific is a large national chemical supplier that may be able to help.

In my years of experience using Cellugel I have not (yet) had the problem described below. I suspect that the lid has been left off for an extended period of time allowing the alcohol to evaporate. I would not suggest using it in such a reduced state. Good luck!

> From: Lavinia Adler <laviniaa@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: November 8, 2006 12:21:29 PM EST
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [BKARTS] Isopropanol: thanks & related question
>
> Thanks to all of you who responded to my query about isopropanol.
> Since I
> can find nothing more pure than 95% in my area, can't find 100% even on
> the Web (at least in as much time as I've been willing to search) and
> have been educated by a private responder about the difficulties and
> expense of shipping the pure stuff, were I to find it, I think it'll be
> simpler if I just order a fresh container of Cellugel when the time
> comes...
>
> ...which leads me to my next question. The Cellugel I have is now about
> the consistency of hardened jello. I've used it by squishing it firmly
> into a softer consistency, and that seems to work fine. Is there any
> reason I shouldn't use it that way? Might whatever substance that has
> evaporated be essential to getting proper results on the rotted
> leather?

Scott Kellar