Re: [BKARTS] Help with LCSH for conservators

Hi Linda,
A search of the archives of the conservation mailing list at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/1995/0400.html
brought up the following information which might help....
Dave Allen

*>Subject:* Conservation nomenclature
*>From:* David Hallam (/David.Hallam/)
*>Date:* 04-18-1995

This items is posted on behalf of Jenni Cole, AWM

> I have a comment to make about Conservation/conservators, as > they are treated in Library of Congress Subject Headings, which > you may like to pass on to the AIC.

>  In LCSH if you look for Conservation you will find the main
>  heading is Conservation of natural resources. There is also a
>   series of references eg to  Sculpture--Conservation &
>  restoration.  Conservation of cultural property is buried under
>  headings like these; also Motion picture film--Preservation &
>  storage; or  Cultural property, protection of;  etc. The only
>  heading for conservators is a reference to a legal usage. There
>  is no identifiable grouping which gathers these disparate terms
>  together is a way which says - this is what conservators are
>  about. I don't believe L of C has no books about
>  conservators--it's just that until now there has been no demand
>  for a heading (or LC has ignored it).  The AIC may have enough
>  clout in the US to be able to create this demand. It is up to
>  conservators to improve / enlarge their public image so they
>  (you) will be more widely recognised as a group with valuable
>  contributions to make to cultural heritage.

>  Best of British (or Yankee?)
>  Jenni C.

David Hallam
Senior Conservator of Objects
John Treloar Centre for Conservation Science
Australian War Memorial
PO Box 345 Canberra City
ACT 2601 Australia
+61 6 243 4534