Re: [BKARTS] Book research help

From: "Mark J" <1markj@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I am trying to figure out what some entries in a Toole Stott bibliography I have mean. They are:

8 (degree symbol), 12 (degree symbol), etc

Octavo, duodecimo, respectively; referring to the number of times a sheet is folded.

Then there are many entries with this type of symbolism: [A]^2 B-Hh^8Ii^6 or A-MM^6 The symbol pi is also used in these formula type entries.

These refer to the collation, which is the way the folded sheets are put together to form the book.

"A New Introduction to Bibliography" by Phillip Gaskell is the best text I know for this kind of thing.

///ark