Re: [BKARTS] isopropanol question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the Merck Index, ethanol (C2H6O),
with a molecular weight of 46.07, results from the distillation of grains, etc.

Methanol (CH3OH) mol. wt. 32.04, is a wood distillate, and that isopropanol
(C3-H8O), mol. wt. 60.09, is a petroleum by-product.

I am not aware of any instance where isopropyanol is denatured by, for
instance, ethanol or methanol.

It is, of course, true that any 100% pure container of any of these
alcohols is dehydrated and one can almost hear the alcohol suck up
moisture from the air when the lid is opened.

Jack

>100% isopropanol solution is extremely flammable (snip)

The solution is comprised of ethanol, alcohol and methanol sometimes. You
will always dilute it with water - and distilled if you have access to it.
(snip)

>Best of luck,
>H Wright
>__________________________________
>Heather Anne Wright
>Biological Research Technician
>New England Plant, Soil and Water Laboratory
>USDA-ARS, University of Maine, Orono 04469
>Campus: (207) 581-3362
>Fax: (207) 866-0464
>
>Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
>at 11:30 PM -0500 wrote:
>>
>>On Nov 7, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Lavinia Adler wrote:
>>
>>> The answer seems obvious to me, but, since I'm having trouble locating
>>> 100% isopropanol, I thought I'd take a chance on learning that I'm
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Lavinia Adler

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick