[BKARTS] Dying Leather

I am working with a natural calf skin - a very smooth grain. Can anyone tell me of a product that is good in dying leather without the stiffness?
I am unsatisfied with the experiments I have done with Tandy leather dye? The leather is stiff and hard to work. I also wonder about what effect dyes have on leather long term. I would like to find a dye that was vegetable based. Any clues?

Esther Kibby, MFA, Professor/Designer
Interactive Media Design
Graphic Design
Book Arts