[BKARTS] Ragdale Foundation

Fellow Book Artists,

I'd like to let everyone know about The Ragdale Foundation in Lake Forest, IL. because it is an ideal place
for book related artists. ( www.ragdale.org ) I've just returned from a resident fellowship there and would
like to encourage others to apply. Ragdale is the 4th largest artists' community in the country and the
largest interdisciplinary one in the Midwest. It hosts 12 artists at a time including writers, visual artists,
composers, choreographers and performance artists. The residencies are 2 to 8 weeks. Residents
create their own schedules and meet for dinner, lively conversations and presentations in the evening.

Ragdale is located on the exquisite grounds of noted architect Howard Van Doren Shaw's summer retreat 30
miles north of Chicago. The house and gardens, listed on the National Register of Historic Places,
are among the few surviving intact examples of the Arts and Crafts movement in the country.

The staff at Ragdale is exceptional. They set a stage unlike any other retreat. The accommodations
are conducive to contemplation and creativity and the food is gourmet. It's amazing what one can accomplish
in such a setting. An artist can focus on one's work without interference and yet the interactions among
the other residents is very stimulating. This is a magical place with a ambiance that is difficult to describe. It
nurtures the soul and spirit in a way that seems impossible in the complexities of everyday responsibilities.
I hope to integrate this experience in my teaching , writing and creating. Do consider Ragdale.

being,
Joan Michaels Paque
JMP Atelier

www.joanmichaels.paque.com