[BKARTS] BINDING ODD SIZED ITEMS

I got a job today which I would like to ask some help with. A client brought me 3 piles of published academic papers that he wants bound into 3 volumes. Some of these are vertical 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets while others are landscape 11 by 8 1/2. Still others are 4 by 5, 6 by 5 etc. Most are side stapled but some are just top stapled. He wants them kept in Chronological order which means that if I line them up at the top and the spine, the bottom and the fore edge will be very ragged. In order to even the spine edge up I have heard of using stubs but I am not really sure how to fasten them in and to what? Does anyone have a website or book they can refer me to ? Something visual would be best if possible.
Thanks
Dave Allen

--
840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4