[BKARTS] BINDING ODD SIZED ITEMS .. Using Stubs & Guards

Dear Dave,

I have a similar problem with some assorted papers from my school days which
sometime I need to bind - when I have time!   I also have the atlas volume 5 from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1832, which has folded maps of somewhat
different heights and thicknesses.

My intent is to guard the loose pages into suitable signatures and then make up the
shorter items by adding in sufficient folded leaf stubs to give all signatures the
same height.   The signatures would then be sewn and backed as normal.   In the
case of the atlas then the stubs would be made up similarly to the thickness of
each folded map.

I am not sure what you might do for the volume where there is a mixture of
landscape and portrait pages.   This will obviously leave the fore edge lacking in
substance by some inches for the portrait signatures?   I suppose that by enclosing
the portrait signatures in a single heavy paper, wrapped-round guard leaf of the
same width as the landscape signature, then a suitable thickness of trimmed paper
leaves could be glued to the guard fore-edge to bring it out to the width of the
landscape signature.  This would effectively enclose the fore-edge of the portrait
signatures.  A similar arrangement would be required for the landscape signature
to bring it to the height of the portrait leaves.

The result of this assortment might not be too pleasing to the eye when the
volumes are opened, but from an external view the edges would look as normal
except along the top-edge.  One could enclose the smaller sections with a made
up guard round all three edges perhaps, but this is becoming time consuming and
expensive?   Perhaps your customer would be perfectly happy just to have the
papers bound to keep them tidy rather a complex binding approach?

Alternatively perhaps he would be happy to have them collected in a slip case or
drop-back box?

Some likely ideas and sketches are given in Eric Burdett, "The Craft of
Bookbinding", Chap 6, Miscellaneous Items.

I am sure you will removing the metal staples!

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
Berks
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent with PegasusMail 4.31, BT Broadband System
System W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
McAfee VirusScan v5.21, Mozilla Firefox v1.5
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx