[BKARTS] open studios in Somerville, Mass.

BRICKBOTTOM OPEN STUDIOS

Along with about 100 other artists and craftsmen I will open my studio this weekend in Somerville, Mass.  Noon to six on Saturday and Sunday.

On Sunday I'll host a group of binders working on Johnny Carrera's dictionary project.  They will be sewing books on rolled tapes (like double raised cords).  Johnny's book, The Pictorial Webster's, is subtitled "G.& C. Merriam Dictionary Engravings of the Nineteenth Century Printed Alphabetically As A Source for Creativity in the Human Brain, With Additional Dissertation."  If that doesn't explain how amazing the book is you must check out the website: www.quercuspress.com.

I will do small demonstrations throughout the weekend on the use of various bindery tools and equipment and on such topics as leather paring, gold tooling, foil stamping, etc.  On display will be examples of my binding and box making.

You can find out more about Brickbottom Open Studios (and get directions) at www.brickbottom.org.  And you can learn a little bit about my work at my very out of date website www.handbookbinding.com.

I hope to see you this weekend!

Jeffrey Altepeter, Bookbinder
1 Fitchburg Street, Studio B156