From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Phillips, Carrie
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:46 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Instructions for "homemade" book cloth sought

Can anyone recommend some books/websites/other documentation that could
describe how one can make book cloth from various kinds of fabric, in
hobbyist language?

I have read the short essay on this topic on page 368 of Keith Smith and
Fred Jordan's book, _Sewn and pasted cloth and leather bookbinding for
book artists requiring no special tools or equipment_, where Keith
describes a process of gluing text-weight paper to a piece of fabric.
The description is good, but I need a bit more detail on how this is
done, and specific types of fabric and paper that are good to use in
such a process.  I'm very much a book arts rookie, and though I am
slowly learning the trade jargon, instructions in more "average jane"
language would be helpful to me in getting started.

Thanks in advance for your help!  :o)

Carrie