Re: [BKARTS] Friction Mounting

Wet strength tissue can be thought of as refering to what is pretty much
now known to be Reemay or Hollytex or Bondina or Pelon, or any of the
other non-woven materials that can be used to transfer and manipulate
fragile wet paper.  In 1984, when the article you quote was written,
folks used other various papers/polyester products that were treated
with an agent allowing them to retain strength when wet.  Just go ahead
and use reemay if you have it around.

Friction mounting comes in handy, as the article mentions, when drying
tracing paper or gampi tissue that tends to get all puckered when left
to dry freely.  It's also good for japanese prints that have subtle
embossing to them sometimes. Finally, papers that have creases sunk into
them are often difficult to press well (sometimes the crease gets
'caught' in the press and you open it to find that you've just
reinforced a crease you were trying to eliminate)  For the majority or
Western papers you might encounter, just humidify 'em and stick them in
a press between reemay and blotters. ;)

Douglas Sanders
Senior Conservator
Indiana Historical Society