Re: [BKARTS] Instructions for "homemade" book cloth sought

On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:59 AM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Bill's last line mentioned being able to texture his cloth much like the grained leather look of older manufactured cloths. Bill, you've mentioned using screens for creating texture. Any new techniques?

******************************
Woven screen, similar to window screen, but in various weights and mesh sizes has been a favorite texturing material for a number of years. However, I am always looking for new things that could be used. Whenever I have time to browse the hardware store, art supply or craft store, I am looking, but few things have been found.
The ideal would be to have some metal embossing plates photoengraved from artwork, but that could get costly.

As I have read list members discuss polymer plates, I have wondered if they could be used for embossing. I have heard that the plates are very strong and that they could probably handle the pressure. By using some of the background patterns that are available on my MAC, I could easily prepare some artwork for a test.
Maybe someone already has experience with making and using the polymer plates for embossing?

Bill

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020