[BKARTS] teaching letterpress

My book art students have just successfully completed a collaborative
letterpress book entitled "With or Without E: 16 lipograms." The assignment,
which spanned the entire semester, required students to write lipograms with
or without our most common vowel. They then had to partner up to set and
lock type, proof, and print a number of folios which were later collated and
gathered into two signatures of five folios each and redistributed to the
entire class. Each member of the class got their own text-block for a
double-pamphlet binding and a cover which I designed and printed, and we had
a book binding party (if you can call a six hour class on Friday a party).
It was a great multi-tasking assignment which made proficient printers out
of my students, compelled them to work in groups, and gave them (and me) a
nice little book in the end.

I've also heard of letterpress assignments that require students to write a
block of text using every letter in the alphabet at least once. I guess
that's a good way to find out where the type is in the job case.

-Neal Cox-