Re: [BKARTS] Typeholder question

Dear Peter,

The European style type holders I use are similar to what you are
describing but they are not self-centering.  They simply have a slot
that is the height of the type and several inches across.  There is a
screw on one end that you tighten to hold the type in place, similar to
the one on an English type holder.

The disadvantage is that you need at least one holder for each point
size.  The advantage is that they are much lighter, heat up quicker,
and are slightly easier to sight from.

I think James Brockman used to sell a type holder that was similar to
the European style, but it had one side missing.  This allowed you to
use various point sizes in it, even at the same time.  I've never used
one so I don't know how well it works and how well the type alignment
is maintained in use.

Both my European and English style type holders were made by P&S in
England.

I hope this helps!
Frank
Lehmann Bindery