[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Typeholder question

Dear Peter,

The European style type holders I use are similar to what you are 
describing but they are not self-centering.  They simply have a slot 
that is the height of the type and several inches across.  There is a 
screw on one end that you tighten to hold the type in place, similar to 
the one on an English type holder.

The disadvantage is that you need at least one holder for each point 
size.  The advantage is that they are much lighter, heat up quicker, 
and are slightly easier to sight from.

I think James Brockman used to sell a type holder that was similar to 
the European style, but it had one side missing.  This allowed you to 
use various point sizes in it, even at the same time.  I've never used 
one so I don't know how well it works and how well the type alignment 
is maintained in use.

Both my European and English style type holders were made by P&S in 

I hope this helps!
Lehmann Bindery

         The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 1, Fall 2006 Now Online at
Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Online - Catalog Available
             For all your subscription questions, go to the
                      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
          See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]