[BKARTS] Alum Tawed Leather

In answer to Jeff's question:

Dyeing Alum Tawed leathers are particularly difficult and we have had very limited success with the modern dyes that are available to us to use. Water based aniline (acid) dyes do not bind to the skin and spirit dyes have a tendency to draw out the oils from the skin, leaving a leather that feels harsh and brittle. Traditionally, vegetable dyes would have been used to dye alum tawed skins, but this is no longer an option for Hewits. For the bookbinder working at home or in a studio, experimentation with vegetable dyes would probably be worthwhile. We would recommend you have a look at ordinary tea. It is safe, pure vegetable and has been shown to work. Brew up a very, very strong concoction and experiment by dabbing onto a small piece of leather with a cotton-wool ball.

kind regards,

David

David Lanning J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. sales@xxxxxxxxx http://www.hewit.com Mobile: 07947 754842 Voice Mail: +44 (0) 1280 709701

Edinburgh Numbers