[BKARTS] Choice of Digital Camera

Greetings everyone,

I'm in the market for a new digital "point and shoot" camera, and wondered what many of you like to use these days. All of the information in the archives for this list is over 5 years old, so I think it's high time to generate new reviews!

My requirements:

Under $500, but cheapness is a significant factor! (my budget ain't too big!)
Good macro capability WITHOUT spending the money on a Digital SLR.
HENCE able to shoot details of leather tooling, paper repairs, book repairs, and headbands.
Can be mounted on a tripod or copy stand and take a cable release for still shots.
Hot shoe for a flash if needed.

Canon G7 looks nice, but anyone used it for book purposes?

Thanks for your input!

Jake Benson