Re: [BKARTS] Protecting books from sunlight

On Dec 7, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Pam Maines wrote:

The only wall which will accommodate the cabinet gets some morning sun (at an angle) from adjacent windows which can't be blocked entirely by existing shades. I don't really want to cover the sides of the cabinet if I can avoid it but don't want to harm the books.

Whenever I have a client who wants to display/hang an original document (family heirloom) rather than a facsimile, I always recommend the use of UV filtering plexiglas for the glazing. Additionally, I suggest a small cloth drape over the framed item that can be rolled up and placed on top while they are home and/or have visitors. I got the idea many years ago while visiting a museum in Europe --- a visitor simply lifts the drape to view the document or book. Its not ideal, but it sure does help protect from damaging light.
In your case, I am guessing that since you may not want to exchange the glass for UV filtering plexiglas, that a drape or curtain (decorative?) may be a possible solution.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020