Re: [BKARTS] Choice of Digital Camera

Hi:

This url gives many details on many kinds of digital camera and does a comparison of cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/

On Dec 8, 2006, at 2:11 PM, William Minter wrote:

On Dec 8, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Jake Benson wrote:

My requirements:

Under $500, but cheapness is a significant factor! (my budget ain't too big!)
Good macro capability WITHOUT spending the money on a Digital SLR.
HENCE able to shoot details of leather tooling, paper repairs, book repairs, and headbands.
Can be mounted on a tripod or copy stand and take a cable release for still shots.
Hot shoe for a flash if needed.

Canon G7 looks nice, but anyone used it for book purposes?

******************************
Jake,
A couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Nikon Coolpix S10 --- for ONLY $399.00. I love it.
I had an older Coolpix 990 that had the same swivel-lens feature that this new one has --- this feature is important for copy-stand work, as well as other things when one cannot have the lens and monitor in the traditional alignment.
I love this new model for everything that you require. In addition to close-up pictures (1.6 inches), it takes far more pictures than the old one and at 6.0 megapixels. I also love the video stream feature that would be great for field work where you want to document the various physical problems of a book.
The flash is built-in, so no hot-shoe -- see note below. Tripod mount, yes. No cable release, but it has a Timer. Oh, it also has a Vibration Reduction feature.
Note: With my older camera, I wanted to use my studio strobes for lighting, but I could not get a flash-sink cable for the old relic. We then realized that I could use the "slave" feature on the strobes, using the built-in flash to trip the strobes. IT WORKED, and is even better than expected, for both the old and the new camera.
Obviously, I think you should check out the Nikon.
Bill

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020