Re: [BKARTS] Choice of Digital Camera

I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix series. I got the DMC-LX1. It is an 8 megapixel with 3 aspect ratios - 3:2, 4:3, 16:9. However, I understand that a new model has come out at 10 megapixel. It is the DMC-LX2 - it comes in silver and black. The new one is $499. Here is a link:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail? storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=98052&catGroupId=24999&modelNo=DMC- LX2S&surfModel=DMC- LX2S&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

It can be mounted on a tripod or copy stand. It has a timer which I use instead of cable release - 10 sec and 2 sec. Just set the timer, then hit the shutter and you have a clear, still image. It has a Leica lens - one of the sharpest- clearest lenses available. It has ISO settings from 80(sunlight) to 400(Low light). Just remember that at the 400 ISO the images will be grainy due to the usual pixel noise of all "point and shoots". But there are several software programs out there to get rid of much of the noisy pixels.

But the coolest set of options are the manual settings - Shutter and Aperture priority as well as manual
Has a built-in image stabilization program. Auto-Focus and Manual Focus as well as Macro setting.

Another set of nice features is a histogram display to indicate the digital pixel levels in the exposure. A framing grid for composing the scene before shooting. And the ability to set your own White Balance for neutral color balance in the image.

It is small enough to fit in your pocket - 2"wide x 4"length x 2"depth. I purchased mine on sale for $469. Of course then you have to get the extra batteries and memory cards, etc.

The camera is very user-friendly. You just take it out of the box and in a matter of 30 minutes you have learned enough functions to shoot and preview the shots.

Best of all - you can shoot in JPG, TIF and Raw formats depending on the resolution you want. And the Raw setting is amazing. It is not a proprietary format and can be opened in Photoshop to work with the color space of the image. Since RAW captures all the pixel information available, you are working with the lights and darks of the photo. You can also capture Movie stills in Quicktime.

The only thing I wish it had was a filter ring on the lens to add say a UV filter. Other than that I love my Panasonic - it is a great buy for under $500.