Re: [BKARTS] Choice of Digital Camera

Jake Benson writes:

Greetings everyone,

I'm in the market for a new digital "point and shoot" camera, and wondered what many of you like to use these days. All of the information in the archives for this list is over 5 years old, so I think it's high time to generate new reviews!

My requirements:

Under $500, but cheapness is a significant factor! (my budget ain't too big!)
Good macro capability WITHOUT spending the money on a Digital SLR.
HENCE able to shoot details of leather tooling, paper repairs, book repairs, and headbands.
Can be mounted on a tripod or copy stand and take a cable release for still shots.
Hot shoe for a flash if needed.

Canon G7 looks nice, but anyone used it for book purposes?

Thanks for your input!

I have a Canon A540 and am very happy with it. Now listing for $300 Canadian, it is a 6 megapixel P&S with built-in optical zoom and a macro feature.

Have successfully used it to take severely-up-close-and-personal pictures of a miniature book with great detail, among other things. Can by mounted on a tripod, will hook up to a cable release, and has many shooting modes (both auto and manual).

Portability was a big item for me, and this camera is small and very light. Optional lenses available, but no flash hot shoe (good built-in one, tho).

On the downside, it doesn't shoot RAW, but high-end .jpgs. Does come with low-end photomanipulation software, manuals, USB 2.0 cable, and software for both Macs and Windows. Nice download interface that's pretty intuitive, at least for me!

Linda