From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cari
Ferraro
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 10:35 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Choice of Digital Camera

Hello book folk,

On Dec 8, 2006, at 9:00 PM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

> I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix series.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting their digital camera
preferences.  I too have been looking around for a good digital
camera, and have almost settled on the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50. It
is not a small point and shoot though, it is heftier and has a super
zoom Leica lens which is more zoom than I need but the camera has
lots of other features I like. I have an old Olympus C3000 which has
taken some great pictures for me and also taught me a lot about how
to take pictures. So the  new camera must have some manual features
so that I can tweak in Shutter or Aperture priority modes. I
absolutely want this camera to be able to take good closeups of my
book work and other artwork. Many of the point-and-shoot cameras
don't have f-stops above 3 or 4 and as I understand it the higher f-
stops will be the smaller aperture necessary for a good depth of
field. Other things I want in a camera: a swivel LCD screen (I have
gotten used to framing my shots in the LCD, but when it is on a
tripod, my old neck gets in a kink trying to see the LCD, so a flip
LCD that I can see from different angles would make my life much
easier); an optional grid on the LCD to aid in framing and getting
the shot straight; RAW format (I have gotten used to doing post-
processing in Photoshop before having slides made and don't like even
the little bit of compression in a JPEG); a timer or cable release to
be able to take the picture without camera shake.

I would be interested in any other suggestions people here might
have, since you are probably using a camera for the same purpose I
am, to take high quality pictures of books, so the macro feature is a
must. I was considering the Lumix LX2, but I'm pretty attached to the
idea of having a swivel LCD. The Canons which all have the swivel
LCDs only offer JPEG pictures. On my old Olympus I could take TIFF
format and I'm pretty attached to that for being able to generate
high quality slides.

Another good website with camera reviews is http://www.imaging-
resource.com/

Thanks for all your informative posts!