Re: [BKARTS] seeking suggestions

On Dec 10, 2006, at 6:03 AM, Tara Bryan wrote:

Hello, all,
I am looking for examples of text-based artist's books in which the structure and presentation of the text clearly reinforce its meaning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Look for "In the Presence of Absence" by Harriet Bart. The text is a prose poem about the importance of what is absent... and the poem is literally absent, as it is laser-cut and it is in reading the negative space on the page that one gets to read the poem.

Also "Crazy Quilt" by Maureen Cummins. The text is a collection of excerpts of letters and journals written by women who had been institutionalized... very often for no other reason than a matter of convenience. This book works on many metaphoric levels: there is the text itself, which would be potent enough printed in black ink on white paper. But it's made all the more memorable in its presentation, as panels of a "quilt" of sorts. When you ponder that quilting was traditionally viewed as a woman's craft, and then the book being named for a particular pattern in quilting... well, it makes for a really powerful book.

These are two off the top of my head... and I can guarantee there are more.
John

"Thank you, and write when you can." Convivio Bookworks John Cutrone & Seth Thompson, proprietors Inspired goods from around the globe and close to home... Books and broadsides, made by hand in Lake Worth, Florida. http://www.conviviobookworks.com