[BKARTS] Copyright issue on bookbinding

I have a fine binding book cover design I would like to execute on a classic piece of contemporary literature - Ficciones by Borges. My problem comes from finding an affordable copy at a larger size than is available for purchase. And I have looked at a lot of used book websites and find either copies that are too small, or copies too expensive for my professor's salary, or so beautiful that I would think of taking it apart.

The design I have created will not be visually effective on a 6"x9" size which is pretty common. I need at least a 12" x 18" size book to display the design.

Another book binding friend recommended that I simply re-type the stories in and print on an inkjet at the larger size and bind it. I am not looking to profit from the literature, but I would like to exhibit the binding design in competitions. I was also thinking about creating some internal illustrations to go with the stories. I know that the work I do would be held as my copyright.

However, I don't know the ramifications of using the stories. I see them all over the web and I was wondering if they have become public domain. I am wondering if I could claim fair use, as I consider the binding of this printing an educational tool in learning the book binding craft?

Can anyone talk about this sort of issue. What has been done before?

Esther Kibby